Unlike sudden back pain, which often has an obvious cause, such as shoveling or lifting something too heavy, chronic back pain can be hard to pinpoint. When you suffer from chronic back pain, it can be extremely difficult to go about your day-to-day activities. Even with treatment, chronic back pain can flare up at anytime, especially when you do not know what is causing the pain. There are many different causes of back pain, and some may surprise you!
- Stress: The way you are feeling emotionally can actually affect the way you are feeling physically. When you are dealing with lots of stress, your muscles can tighten and lead to both neck and back pain. Try combatting this with yoga and deep breathing.
- High Heels: High heels are commonly associated with foot pain, which is never ideal. However, they can also lead to back pain since you are putting more strain on your feet and not fully extending your calf. Stick to heels that are less than three inches, or at least have a pair of walking shoes you can change into during a commute.
- Sedentary Job: Unfortunately, most Americans have a job where they are sitting in front of their computer screens all day. When your muscles are used to sitting, they tend to tighten up, leading to back pain. Make sure to stretch at work, and get up and walk around when you can.
- Dehydration: Many people do not get enough water each day. Your spine consists of discs, which are partly made up of a substance that is 90% water. In order to keep that cushioning healthy, it is important that you have enough water in your system. If your urine is not clear or light yellow, you likely need more water!
- Smoking: By now, you know that smoking is extremely bad for your health; if you still smoke cigarettes, you need to quit. In addition to the other health problems smoking causes, a Northwestern University study found that “smokers are three times more likely than nonsmokers to develop chronic back pain”.
If any of the aforementioned causes describe you and your lifestyle, take steps to alleviate these! Additionally, if you have chronic back pain, come to Sports Injury Centers to see what holistic treatments will help!
Courtesy of: Reader’s Digest