Standing desks allow you to work while you stand. They are becoming more common as a way for people to sit less throughout the day. There have been recent studies about how sitting too often can cause different health problems over time. Your favorite chiropractors around Skokie are here to discuss some of the pros and cons of this new trend.
- Burns more calories. A study has shown that standing burns 88 calories per hour, whereas sitting burns 80 calories. This may not seem like a lot, but can add up over time.
- Reduces back issues. Extended periods of sitting can lead to your back being tight, particularly when you sit with poor posture. Standing can stretch out your back more and loosen up the muscles.
- Increases productivity. It has been shown that people actually get more work done when they are standing. It is much easier to procrastinate and get distracted when you are in a comfy chair.
- Foot and leg pain. Standing for extended periods can put extra pressure on your knees and feet, leading to pain over time.
- Isn’t the best for certain tasks. A standing desk may be effective for answering the phone or writing an email, but when taking an extended amount of time to create a report or write an essay, it can start to become uncomfortable to stand and may hinder your performance.
- Not an exercise substitute. Although standing does build more calories, exercising is a much more effective solution to staying healthy long term.
In conclusion, standing at your desk for short periods of time may burn extra calories and stretch out your back muscles, but it could also lead to other leg and foot problems and could reduce your productivity. If you are experiencing any back, leg, or foot pain, come visit our chiropractors around Skokie at 8424 Skokie Blvd. We also have locations in Lincoln Park, The Loop and West Loop.