Starting Off On the Right Foot
Running is an exercise that helps build muscle, burn fat, and improve endurance and heart health. It is a great way to stay in shape and take care of your body, however, if not done correctly it can lead to injuries such as shin splints, muscle strains, “runner’s knee,” and more.
Improving your running technique and protecting your body means investing in quality running shoes, and running on grass instead of concrete when you can. However, paying special attention to your form is just as important as the shoe or running surface you choose when it comes to protecting your joints and muscles.
To improve and maintain a good running form, take note of the following steps.
- Keep your head up. Naturally, we go in the direction we are looking towards. When you keep your chin elevated, it lessens the strain on your neck and keeps you on course.
- Maintain good posture, as this will help improve your breathing.
- Swing your arms from front to back and not side to side, which can waste valuable energy.
- Don’t make fists with your hands. Instead, keep them loosely closed and fingers curled, otherwise you will waste energy trying to keep them tightly shut.
- Tighten your core, as this provides support for the rest of the body, lessens the amount of shock your joints have to endure, helps prevent injury, and improves stability.
- Do not bounce while taking strides, since this will increase the impact to your body when your feet hit the ground.
- Don’t overextend your knees.
- Land softly when your feet descend. The harder your feet hit the ground, the more likely you are to suffer injuries.
A Chiropractor Close to Lincoln Park
If you have been running for a long time, or are just starting out, and are finding yourself dealing with joint pain, muscle soreness, or other types of pain/injuries, you may need a chiropractor to help get you back on track.
Reach out to Chicago Chiropractic & Sports Injury Centers today to speak with one of our qualified, professional Chicago Chiropractors near Lincoln Park.