Do we provide physical therapy in the Chicago Loop and other locales? Of course, but we do much more than that. November is lung cancer and COPD awareness month. With a pulmonary pandemic raging throughout our nation and the world, we want to consider some naturopathic ways to prevent lung disease.
The Botanical Approach
According to the American Lung Association over 16.4 million Americans suffer from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), and many millions more may have it and not know it. There’s no cure, but certain readily available botanicals can help improve the quality of life for COPD sufferers.
- Apples – An apple a day may help keep lung problems at bay. Apples contain quercetin, an antioxidant that may help protect the lungs against smoke and other pollutants.
- Blueberries – These berries pack more antioxidant punch than most other produce and reduce the harmful effects of air pollution. Try adding ¾ of a cup to your cereal, yogurt or smoothie.
- Tea – Infusions of black tea can reduce the harmful effects of air pollutants. Try a cup of black tea as a morning warmup or an afternoon pick-me-up.
- Eucalyptus – This fast-growing evergreen can help prevent bronchitis flare ups. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of boiling water, form a tent with a towel over your head and slowly breathe in the vapors for 10 minutes.
The Lifestyle Approach
Some lifestyle changes to combat COPD include:
- Quitting smoking
- Exercising regularly
- Eating a healthy diet
- Avoiding exposure to environmental irritants
- Avoiding close contact with people having respiratory infections
Help in Many Forms
So yes, we practice physical therapy in the Chicago Loop, but we also provide a variety of naturopathic treatments. Don’t hesitate to call us today to schedule an initial consultation.